Thursday, May 17, 2012

Shoe Nerd..

Somehow my running shoe collection just keeps on growing, Minimus’ for fast short runs...Pumas for track silliness...and now the Montrails for long range fun.
I broke in the Montrails last night after two days of them sitting in a box begging to be thrashed; after two years of running in ONLY Minimus' I was a bit worried when I first saw the Montrails heel...it looked high! Well everything looks high compared to the zero drop Minimus. First impressions when slipping the Montrails on, is how good they fit. (always a gamble when you buy over the net)  when the back of the shoe fits over my heel it sucks in tight around the back of my foot and I feel as though I don’t even need to tighten the laces to keep this shoe firmly attached. Also noticeable is the very aggressive sole of the shoe, it’s got big lugs underneath and I suspect it’ll be fantastic grip on the many pea gravel trails that dot Western Australia. My route yesterday took me from road to trail so I got to test them on multiple surfaces and was very pleased to see that these shoes still encouraged a midfoot strike and had a bit more padding to help on longer road runs. The real test will come this weekend on some glorious single track!
Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment